REPORT                                                                                                               August 16, 2011

Summer Ministry

13 교회에서 154명이 이번 여름 Tutoring 사역에 참여했습니다. 특별히 여러 학교 선생님들이 참여해서 사역 전체를 단계 향상시킬 있어서 좋았습니다. 많은 기쁜 일들과 어려운 일들도 있었습니다.

This summer, 154 people from 13 churches participated in the tutoring ministry. Specially, various school teachers participated, made tutoring ministry up-grade. Many good and difficult things happened.

이번에 Kimberly 선생님이 Director 맡아 수고해 주셨습니다. Kimberly 교육방향은 아주 분명 했습니다. 재미 위주의 사역 보다는 아이들과 대화를 열어나가는 노력을 선생님들에게 주문했습니다. 왜냐하면 그런 사역이 아이들을 흥분시켜 통제를 어렵게 만들기 때문입니다. 그녀의 교육 철학이 저의 눈도 열어줬습니다. 저라도 분명히 재미 위주의 사역을 했을 것이니까요.

Kimberly served as the role of Tutoring Director. Her educational direction was clear. She ordered the teachers to communicate with the students instead of promoting a fun-making program because it makes children hyper and get out of control. Her educational philosophy also opened my eyes because I may have chosen a fun-making program too.

그러한 교육방향은 오직 경험에서만 나올 있다고 생각했습니다. 흑인학생/Latino 다수를 이루는 고등학교에서 가르치면서 경험하고 터득한 것들이 원주민 아이들 사역에도 Benefit으로 나타나면 좋겠습니다.

Her educational direct results only can come out of her experience. Kimberly has been working with African American/Latino high school students. I hope that what she learned and experienced will benefit the tutoring ministry with the Native students.

STAFFS

서한빛 자매는 처음 혼자 외로운 Staff 지내다가 Kimberly 후로 둘이 손발이 척척 맞으면서 진가가 나타났습니다. 서로에게 의지가 되고 영감이 되어주고 있는 같았습니다. 생전 처음으로 동시 통역을 해본다는 자매는 영어도 하지만 정말 한국 말을 잘하는 것도 알게 되었습니다. Message 전달에서도 몫을 했습니다.

Stephanie worked alone as staff for the first two weeks, but when Kimberly came, they began working together very well. They supported and inspired each other. Stephanie told me that she is not really experienced with simultaneous translation, but I came to realize that she is fluent in both English and Korean. She played a big role in delivering the message.

Fred 목사님과 Lorraine 사모님이 많은 일을 도왔습니다. 목수 일과 배관 , 나무를 해오는 , 아니라 아이들 가르치는 일과 Orientation에서 Message 나누는 일까지 도왔습니다. 그들에게 아주 바쁜 여름이었습니다. 우리에게 힘이 되어주는 귀한 동역자들입니다.

Pastor Fred and Lorraine Samonim helped us with many things, carpentry, and plumbing, hauling wood, teaching children and even sharing a message during orientation. It was a busy summer for them. They are precious co-workers for us and encourage us always.

세원 선생님이 와서 많은 일들을 돕고, 그리고 마지막 주에 신은상 목자가 함께하여 막힘 없이 돌아갔습니다. 저와 남영현 선교사가 정말 편하게 여름 사역을 마쳤습니다.

And then Saewon joined later as additional staff and helped us promptly with many things.  Finally, during the last week, sheepherder Shin joined us, so things got even better. Grace and I were able to accomplish all summer ministry activities with ease.

Staff들이 어려움이 많았습니다. 남모르게 울기도 했습니다. 그래도 어려움들을 이겨내고 모든 사역들을 신실하게 감당해줬습니다. Staff, 수고 많았습니다. 감사 합니다!

The Staff had many difficulties. I saw them weeping in secret. However they overcame barriers and completed all the ministries faithfully. Guys, well done! Thanks!

BOOKS

6 9일에, 아이들에게 가르칠 교과서가 필요하다는 소식과 함께 교회들의 도움을 부탁 드렸는데, 전국에서 아주 많은 책들을 보내왔습니다. 전부 2000권이 넘을 것 같습니다. 아무도 상상도 못한 일입니다. 금방 도서관 하나가 생겼습니다. 그래서 올 해에는 가르칠 자료가 넘쳤고 또 아주 많이 지출을 줄일 수가 있었습니다. 책을 보내주시고 또 기도해주신 교회들께 감사 드립니다.

On June 9, I sent an announcement to the churches and asked for the favor that we need textbooks for the children, and many churches sent us many books, possible more than 2000 books. No one could imagine it. In a moment a library came into existence. So we had enough material for teaching, and we could save much expense. I give thanks to those who sent books and prayed for it!

책뿐 아니라 Computer 자료들과 물건들도 보내왔습니다. 이렇게 많은 분들이 원주민 사역에 관심을 가지고 있구나 하고 생각하니 참 기쁘고 위로가 되었습니다. 이렇게 많은 분들의 관심과 기대를 채우지 못하면 어쩌나 하는 염려도 일었습니다.

Not only books but churches sent us computers, materials and things. I realized that so many people have concern for the Native ministry. It was a great joy and comfort for us. I also felt anxiety out of fear that we cannot satisfy their expectations.

아이들 가르치는 일이 장난이 아니구나!” “Teaching children, man – it’s not a fun!”

번째 팀들이 사역하던 , 힘이 좋고 지칠 모르는 나바호 고등학생 하나가 우리 앞에 나타났 습니다. 그는 아예 공부에는 관심이 없었습니다. 오자마자 아이들을 몰고 다니면서 문제를 만들기 시작하는데, 선생님 말도 어느 누구의 말도 듣지 않고 이리 뛰고 저리 뜁니다. 아이들 조차도 말을 듣지 않고 같이 날뜁니다.

One day while the third teams were ministering, a Navajo high-school student who is full of energy and never tires appeared in front of us. He was not interested in studying at all. As soon as got out of the car, he started making trouble among many children. He did not listen to the teachers who pleaded with him, but he would just run and dash away. Soon other children did not listen and just followed him.

순간 앞이 캄캄해졌습니다. “이럴 때는 어떻게 해야 하나? 아이를 진정시키지 못하면 사역은 끝이다.” 절망이 엄습해왔습니다.

“Blackout,” my thought stopped its function. “What shall I do in this situation?  I feared that the tutoring ministry might fall apart if we could not exercise control over him. Hopelessness attacked me.

일이 저에게 특별히 초조한 이유가 있는데 그것은, 생애 번도 교육 관여해본 적이 없다는 점입니다. 교회에서 주일학교 학생을 가르친 조차 없습니다. 불안하고 어찌할 바를 몰랐습니다.

The reason for my impatience is because I never got involved in education in my life. I never even taught in the Sunday school. I was anxious and did not know what to do.

일단 제가 그에게로 다가가서 설득해볼 심산으로 붙일 기회를 찾고 있는데, 정연창 형제 (운동선수/ 유학생) 다가와서 그와 얘기를 시작하는 것이었습니다. “Do you like basketball?” “Yeah!” 하고 너무 쉽게 대화를 트더니, “Let’s go!” 하고는 그를 대리고 농구장으로 달려갔습니다.

In advance I got closer to him expecting that I might persuade him, so I was trying to find the chance. At the same time I saw Yunchang Jung (a sportsman and foreign student) get closer to him and simply started a conversation. “Do you like basketball?” “Yeah!” “O good! Let’s go!” And then Brother Jung took him to the basketball court.

제가 시도해보려고 했던 장황한 설득을 몽땅 빼먹고 만에 마음이 통하는 것을 보고, 한참 얼이 빠졌습니다. 순간 소리질렀습니다. “이거다!”

He just omitted what I wanted to try which would have been a long and boring persuasion.  But in just a few seconds, they communicated heart in heart. I just lost my senses, and in a moment I shouted, “This is it!”

제가 힘이 좋은 청년 명을 선정해서 부탁했습니다. “자네들한테 아주 특별한 사명을 주겠네. 아이한테 가서 명이 달라붙어서 시간을 보내주게. 그래서 아이가 다른 아이들에게 접근하지 못하게 해주게.” 청년들은 충성스럽게, 그를 끝나는 날까지 완전봉쇄 했습니다. 그래서 제일 어려운 고비를 넘기고 Tutoring 계속할 있었습니다. 하나님 감사합니다!

I chose two more strong guys and told them. “I would like to give you a very special mission. Go to that guy, stick with him, kill time with him and block him from the other children.” Three young men spent time with him faithfully and separated him from the children until the last day. Thus, we were able to overcome a critical point and continue tutoring. Thank God!

넘어 산맥?” “Over a mountain, meet mountains?”

번째 팀들이 사역하고 있을 때의 일입니다. 서너 여자아이들 셋이서 뭉쳐 다니면서 선생님들을 혼란 시키고 있었습니다. 수업은 하고 돌아다니면서 사고치는 일을 즐기고 있었습니다.

While the Fourth teams were ministering, three girls (12 to 13 years old) banded together and began disturbing the teachers. They did not participate in study but just enjoying making trouble. 

예만 말씀드리겠습니다. 아이들이 제가 보는 앞에서 바가지에 물을 퍼서 ( 입은 채로) 몸에 붓고 킬킬거리고, 모든 사람이 사용하는 물통 안에다가 머리를 감는 것이었습니다. “도대체 너희들 이래?” 너무 어이가 없어서 물었더니, “더워서!” 하고는 유유히 걸어갑니다.

Let me give you just one example. In front of me, they poured buckets of water on their bodies (with the cloths), and then began laughing. They even wash their hair in the water barrel that everyone uses. I was a loss for words, and simply asked, “Why are you doing this?” They answered, “Cuz it’s hot!” and walked away leisurely.

이거 장난이 아니구나!” 다시 생각이 멈춰 섰습니다. “내가 정말 이걸 계속 하려면 어떤 헌신과 희생을 각오해야 하겠구나.” 제가 동안 아이들 공부 가르치는 일이라고 아주 가볍게 생각했습니다. 그런데 이건 전쟁이었습니다.

“Man – this is not fun!” My thought stops again. “If I really want to continue this, I must be dedicated and be ready to sacrifice myself.” I had thought lightly that just teaching children was easy, but it was a war.

그래, 내가 사춘기 저랬어. 공부는 죽어도 하기 싫고, 주야로 아이들과 몰려다니면서 사고치고, 부모님께 근심덩이가 되었었지하고 생각하면서 아이들을 이해하고 싶었습니다. “그보다도, 아이들은 보호구역에서 태어나서 보호구역에서 자라고 있다. 그것은 무엇을 의미하는 것일까? 내가 아이들을 정말로 이해할 있을까?”

“Yes, when I was a boy at puberty I was just like that. I hated to study, but banded with a bunch of friends and wandered around, causing trouble and creating much worry for my parents.” I thought about myself and tried to understand those girls. “Anyhow, what it means to them that having been born in the Reservation (people call it “Prison land”) and growing up in the Reservation? Can I truly understand those girls?”

이번에 Kimberly 선생님은, “Dream Big Dreams!”라는 Theme 들고 Tutoring 시작했습니다. 아이들에게 꿈을 주고 싶었던 같습니다. 아름다운 마음입니다. “원주민 아이들이 꿈을 가져야 하는데, 저들은 무엇을 꿈꾸고 있을까? 꿈을 이룰 있을까? 그들 주위에 꿈을 이룬 사람들이 있을까?” 생각하니 다시 마음이 어두워집니다.

When Director Kimberly started tutoring, she shared a theme with us, which was, “Dream Big Dreams!” She desired to plant dreams into the children. It is a beautiful heart. Native Children must have dreams. “Do they have any dreams? Can they fulfill their dreams? Is there anyone around them who has fulfilled their dreams?” While I was thinking of this, my heart clouded.

어쨌든, “공부를 하고 싶어 하는 순한 아이들을 위해서는 아이들이 오지 말아야 한다. 그런데 막무가내로 따라오면 어쩌지?” 학교들은 엄격한 규칙과 규제가 있고 경찰과도 긴밀하게 연관을 가지고 있어서 문제아들을 관리합니다. 우리는 사랑으로 일합니다. 그걸 아이들이 악용하는 것이지요. 아무런 벌이 없으니까. 정말 아무 묘안도 떠오르지 않았습니다.  

Anyway, “they must not come for the meek who want to study.” “But how do we do if they just come stubbornly?” School has strict rules and regulations, and work intimately with police so they could control problematic students. We work by love, and those girls abuse it because we do not punish them. I had no idea for it.  

공부가 끝나고 아이들을 태운 차가 떠나고 나면, Kimberly 선생님이 무거운 걸음으로 숙소로 걸어갑니다. 얼굴이 피로에 젖어서, 걸어갑니다. 마음도 무겁고 어두워집니다. 우리 하고 있는 사역이 맞나? 이걸 계속 해야 하나? 도대체 종잡을 수가 없습니다.

After classes were over, and the cars with children left, Kimberly would walk heavily toward her dormitory. She looked so tired. When I saw her my mind also felt heavy and dark. “Are we doing this ministry right?” “Are we going to continue this?” What shall I do? I really don’t know ---

그러다가도 문득 사역을 손꼽아 기다리고 즐거워하는 아이들이 생각납니다. Korean 선생님을 꼬옥 껴안고 볼에 입맞추며, “Thank you for brought me here!” 하는 아이들이 생각납니다. 사고뭉치 아이들 조차도 이곳을 좋아하고 오지 말라고 해도 기어이 따라옵니다. 어떻게 해야 될지, 정말 모르겠습니다!

Suddenly the kids who waited for the next tutoring day and enjoyed it come to my mind. I remembered that a kid hugged a Korean teacher saying, “Thank you for bringing me here!” and kissed to her cheek. Even those trouble makers love this place and come forcefully. I really don’t know what to do!

Staff 회의에서 다음과 같은 안이 나왔습니다. 1) 부모님들을 만나자. 2) 아이들이 알코올 중독과 무직에서 벗어나는 길은 공부를 하는 길밖에 없다는 것을 일깨워 주자. 3) 우리가 얼마나 아이들을 돕고 싶어 하는지 알려주자. 4) 아이가 공부 하기를 싫어하고 다른 아이들 공부하는 것을 방해하고 있는 것을 알려주자. 5) 아이가 공부하고 싶으면 우리는 언제든지 받아주고 가르쳐줄 것이라는 점을 알려주자. 6) 의욕이 생기기까지 아이를 보내지 말아줄 것을 부탁하자.

In the Staff meeting we decided the following. 1) Let us meet the parents. 2) Let us explain that the only way the children can escape from unemployment and alcoholism is by studying well. 3) Let us explain how much we love to help them. 4) Let us explain that his/her girl does not want to study and interrupt other students’ study. 5) Let us make sure that whenever the girl wants to study we will gladly accept and teach her. 6) Let us ask to the parents that do not send her daughter to us until she gets desire to study.

먼저 Kimberly 한빛 선생님이 찾아가서 아이와 부모를 함께 만났습니다. 부모님들은 아주 협조적 이었습니다. 아이를 꾸짖고 들을 것을 다짐시켰습니다. 후로는 문제를 일으키지 않았습니다. 다른 아이는 남영현 선교사님이 찾아가서 부모님을 만났습니다. 역시 협조적이고 아이를 꾸짖고 다짐을 받았습니다. 아이는 후로 센터에 나타나지 않았습니다.

Kimberly and Stephanie went and met the parents of the girl. The parents were cooperative, rebuked the girl and made her promise to obey. After that she did not make any more trouble at all. Missionary Grace also visited other girl’s parents. They also were kind, rebuked the girl and made them promise to obey. One of the girls was not home and she did not come to the tutoring any more.

아이들은 끝나는 날까지 평온했고 마무리 되었습니다. 하나님께 감사 드리고 Staff들과 리더들과 팀원 사람 사람에게 감사 드립니다.

All the children were stabilized and things ended peacefully. Thanks to God and to the staff, team leaders, and each one of the team members.

나무는 희생을 빨아먹고 자란다 Tree grows sucking sacrifice

사랑하는 사람들이 다들 떠나갔습니다. 텅 빈 놀이터에는, 아직도 아이들의 웃음소리가 남아있는 듯 합니다. 먼지를 일으키며, 땡볕 아래서 뛰노는 아이들의 소음이 들립니다. “어휴 애들이 에너지가 넘쳐요, 못 따라 다니겠어요!” 힘겨운 선생님들의 수고와 희생이 보호구역에 거름으로 남았습니다. 저 어린 나무들이 힘있게 자라도록,

All my beloved ones left, returned home. In the empty playground, I still hear in my ears the Native children’s laughter and clamor, running and raising dust under the scorching sunlight. “Man – those guys are full of energy. I better give up chasing them!” Tired teachers’ labor and sacrifice remain as fertilizer, for those little trees grow well.

수고와 희생 , 그래요. 나무가 희생을 빨아먹고 자라요! 누군가가 여린 나무들을 위해 희생 해줘야 하겠지요. 여름 내내 선생님들이, 위에 땀을 뿌렸습니다. 눈물을 심은 자도 있고, 아주 희생을 치른 사람도 있습니다. 하나님께서는 아십니다.

Labor and sacrifice – Yes it is, tree grows suckling sacrifice! Somebody needs to sacrifice for those tender trees, isn’t it? Throughout the summer, teachers spread sweat on the ground. Someone planted tears, and some others paid a great price, and only God knows them.

3년간 Tutoring 사역을 해보고 나면 무언가 윤곽이 드러나겠지. 그러면 그때 전역에 있는 교회들에게 우리의 경험을 알리고 교회들로 가까운 보호구역에 찾아가서 아이들을 가르치도록 부탁하려고 했는데, 아직도 모르겠습니다. 시간과 경험과 갈등이 필요한 것일까요? 기도를 부탁 드립니다.

If we continue the tutoring ministry for three years we might see some outcome.  Then we will share our experiences with the churches, and ask them to visit reservations around them and teach the children, but we are uncertain about this still. We may need more time, experience and struggle, right? I ask your prayer.

여러분의 기도와 참여에 깊이 감사를 드립니다. 하나님께서 우리와 함께 하십니다.

Thank you very much for your concern and participation. God is with us!

From Continental Divide, NM

남창식, 영현 드림

선교지 편지

로그인

로그인폼

로그인 유지